Eye Examination with Advanced Equipment
We offer two of the most powerful eye health scans available to eye specialists– the 3D Ocular Coherence Tomographer (OCT) and the Optomap Ultrawide scan.
Your retina (located at the back of the eye) is the only place in the body where blood vessels can be seen directly. This means that in addition to eye conditions, signs of other diseases (for example, stroke, heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes) can also be seen in the retina. Early signs of these conditions can show on your retina long before you notice any changes to your vision or feel pain.
Similar in principle to a dental X-rays, OCT and Optomap scans look deeply into the eye to provide a detailed and permanent record of your eye health.
With Eyeplan (our eyecare scheme) the scans are included in the monthly fee. Learn about Eyeplan HERE
Optomap at Airedale Opticians
The benefits of having an Optomap Ultra-Widefield retinal image taken are:
- Optomap facilitates early protection from vision impairment or blindness
- Early detection of life-threatening diseases like cancer, stroke, and cardiovascular disease
- The unique optomap ultra-widefield view helps your eye care practitioner detect early signs of retinal disease more effectively and efficiently than with traditional eye exams.
- Early detection means successful treatments can be administered and reduces the risk to your sight and health.
3D OCT at Airedale Opticians
- We allocate extra time during your appointment, giving our optometrist time to analyse the information – and discuss the results with you in plain english.
- We have been offering OCT scans since 2011 (the first in the Bradford and Airedale area!) – giving our optometrists great experience interpreting the detail that it provides.
- This allows us to detect serious eye conditions from even the smallest signs much earlier.
- We securely store your scans and our technology allows us to compare your scans at each visit – providing peace of mind that your eye health is being monitored.
This hospital grade technology allows our optometrists to identify, diagnose, monitor and if needed, refer promptly for treatment with much more certainty. The local hospitals often refer patients to Airedale Opticians due to our expertise with using OCT technology.
What the Optomap and OCT scans detect
Optomap and OCT scans can be used for diagnosis, management or treatment of a variety of ocular conditions:
- Macular edema
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Macular hole
- Vitreomacular traction
- Retinal occlusions or bleeding
- Retinal detachment
- Retinal pigment epithelium detachment
- Epiretinal membrane
- Central serous chorioretinopathy
- Optic disc edema
- Optic nerve head drusen
- Ganglion cell complex